Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping one’s mouth clean and free of disease and other problems by regular brushing and cleaning between the teeth. Good oral hygiene results in a mouth that looks and smells healthy.
- It is important to maintain good oral hygiene daily.
- It will prevent tooth decay and toothache.
- Prevent bad breath and gum diseases.
- Prevent staining of teeth and helps to keep teeth white.
- Helps to avoid expensive dental treatments.
- Helps to maintain overall health.
How to maintain oral health:
- Brush twice daily using soft bristled toothbrush and toothpaste contains fluoride, practice proper brushing technique.
- Floss daily to remove food particles in between teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after every meals.use mouthwash.
- Maintain balanced diet.
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
- Clean your tongue using tongue cleaner.
- Limit the usage of beverages,avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
- Maintain regular dental check
Practicing proper brushing technique to prevent tooth damage. Here you can see some of the brushing techniques which can be follow :
- Place the toothbrush at 45 degree angle along gum-line.
- Gently brush the outer surface of the tooth using back,forth and rolling motion.
- Gently brush the inner surface of the tooth using back,forth and rolling motion.
- Place the brush vertically behind the front tooth,and brush using up and down motions.
- Then brush the chewing surface of the teeth using back and forth motion.
Proper flossing technique is used to remove food particles that struck between teeth. Debris in between teeth cannot be removed properly by brushing. Remaining debris in teeth leads to gum disease, so flossing is necessary to maintain good oral health.
Follow these steps to Flossing:
- Use about 18-24 inch of floss.
- Wrap the ends of the floss by your middle finger of both the hands,leaving an inch or two to work with.
- Hold the floss around the teeth in c-shape ,follow the curves of the teeth.
- Then gently move the floss back and forth,up and down motion.avoid snapping the floss on gums.
If you find you’re having dental problems, do not hesitate to make an appointment with your dentist to prevent further, more severe health complications. Maintaining good oral hygiene will keep us Healthy, Live a Happy Life with bright smile on our face. 🙂
I’m a professional dentist, have completed Internship in one of the government hospital in Tamilnadu and as well as a part time blogger. Check my posts here and give your valuable comments. Stay healthy everyone.
brushing, floss, hygiene, oral, tooth